Saturday, August 28, 2010

Which one to choose.

I came across a great blog about whether or not the all in one style diaper is the right choice. Just like anything out there, you have to study and weigh all the pros and cons. First and foremost, the biggest pro to an all in one system is its simplicity. It doesn't get ANY easier than stuffing or snapping in a liner putting it on baby and off you go. Just like a disposable but only reusable!! When it is wet or soiled, take it off (put the poo in toilet) throw the whole thing in the diaper pail and put on a new one. To make it even easier, at the beginning of your day, line all your dipes with the soakers and have everything ready to go for the whole day. No time spent on prepping anything before having to put it on baby.

I will have to confess though, with my two BG 4.0 I will reuse the dipe if it has only been a wet one. I will take the liners out put them in pail, air out the diaper on the edge of the changing table and use the other one. At next change, if it is a wet one, I will take the one airing out and re-stuff and re-use. Not sure if others do this, but to me there is no ick factor. I simply use my nose. After it has been used only once, I have smelled it and there is no urine odor. Once it has been used the third time then it begins to have a smell so then I just toss it into the pail and on to the next diaper. Now, if I had 12 of these diapers I would not do this. I would just get a new one each time.

Okay, all that being said, I had read this blog . Prefolds with a cover can last after one baby, but the all in one system does not have that kind of durability. Not that they are made poorly, but simply with all the washing (not to mention all the pooping and peeing) that this compact system endures, it simply will wear out quicker. But don't fear! It won't fall apart on you in just a couple of months; more like once your baby is potty trained it is time to retire the diaper.

No comments: